Patriot Guard Riders Centex Region
Home · Discussion Forum · Articles · News Categories · Web Links · Downloads05/18/2024 13:52:15
Navigation
Home
Discussion Forum
CenTex Missions
Austin CrossPosts
San Antonio CrossPosts
North Texas CrossPosts
West Texas CrossPosts
Watch List
Articles
News Categories
Photo Gallery
Web Links
FAQ
Downloads
Contact Webmaster
Search

Forum Threads
Newest Threads
Visit to William R C...
!!!CENTEX PGR SUNDAY...
SPC Exavier Ruffin, ...
SFC Sam McKenzie, 68...
Sgt Paul Sollars, 76...
Hottest Threads
Vets Get one more... [7]
TEXAS GATHERING O... [6]
Glenn Reynolds, 9... [6]
TEXAS GATHERING -... [5]
SP5 Robert Binkle... [3]

Latest Articles
Service flags
Flag code

View Thread
Patriot Guard Riders Centex Region | Ride Information | Completed CenTex Missions
Author Lawrence "Larry" Tyrrell Jr, 81 US Navy Reserve & US Air Force Veteran, Sun City, TX
scooterJr
Administrator

Posted on 12/14/2012 09:32
CENTEX ADDENDUM TO AUSTIN MISSION
Lawrence "Larry" Tyrrell Jr, 81
US Navy Reserve & US Air Force Veteran, Sun City, TX

The family of Lawrence "Larry" Tyrrell Jr has requested the presence of the Patriot Guard Riders at the Interment of their Loved One. Those desiring to Participate in the Funeral Service, see the Austin Mission Order for times and locations.

Larry served in the US Naval Reserve and then enlisted in the US Air Force at the beginning of the Korean War. He served as crew chief on the SAC B-47 Bombers that circled Russia carrying the atomic bomb. After his military service Larry was hired by General Electric (GE) Missile and Space Division where he worked in aeromedical engineering dealing with the first monkeys in space. In 59, he was sent to California as part of a GE team working with Lockheed Missile & Space Division to work on the Discoverer Program that involved learning how to retrieve capsules from space. Larry was asked to move to the Houston area to work at NASA for the next twenty years. As a member of the Apollo XIII Mission Operations Team he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for the successful, safe return of the astronauts. He was the GE Project Engineer for the Lunar Module-7 that provided a safe haven for the astronauts during their return to earth. In 76 Larry returned to school at the University of Houston and received a degree in Environmental Management and became a Manager of Life Sciences for GE/Matsco at NASA. He was a soccer coach; President of the La Porte Cowboys Little League Football conference; and helped with Little League Baseball. He served as a Shoreacres, TX councilman and police volunteer, and was instrumental in starting the city's first Fire Department and Police Departments. In addition, he served on the first Parish Council at St. Mary's Catholic Church in La Porte and helped develop an Adult Education Program in the parish. He also joined the Knights of Columbus and became a Grand Knight. In 84 he returned to GE Missile and Space in Valley Forge, PA where he spent the next nine years working with the CIA. In the last few years, one of his greatest pleasures was volunteering at The Caring Place working with the electronics team.

Date: Monday, 17 Dec 12

Staging Time: 1305

Staging Location: The cul-de-sac between the Walk of Heroes and the Memorial Shelter at the Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery located off TX 195 just south of Killeen, TX (http://tinyurl.com/CenTexVetsCeme)

Briefing: 1310 - Upon clearance and at the direction of the Ride Captain, we will move to the shelter, set up the flags and await arrival of the procession from Santa Rosa Catholic Church in Andice.

WX: Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Note: Hydrate well prior, bring water for yourself and a buddy and dress with consideration of the weather conditions.

Ride Captain: David "MarineMajor" Dunn; 512.818.2531; marine9678@aol.com

Please join us in honoring this Naval Reserve and Air Force Veteran for his selfless service to our Great Nation and his local communities.
www.fojit.com Send Private Message
Author RE: Lawrence "Larry" Tyrrell Jr, 81 US Navy Reserve & US Air Force Veteran, Sun City, TX
scooterJr
Administrator

Posted on 01/01/2013 16:53
I was asked to pass this on. It is mostly from Facebook.

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: Dion Soliz
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:50 AM
Subject: Fw: FAcebook Tribute

Good Morning, Dion:

I thought you would like to see the following comments regarding the Patriot Guard. Thank you, again, so very much for bringing the Guard to my attention otherwise it would not have happened. The volunteers truly honor our veterans with the dignity and respect that they deserve and they made a lasting impression on our family and friends.

Thank you for being such a dear friend.

Brenda

----- Original Message -----
To: Brenda Tyrrell
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:07 AM
Subject: FAcebook Tribute

Brenda, This was from Joe's Facebook page this morning.
I thought you might like to see the comments.
Doris
Lisa Martinez is Lisa Paulissen.

Joe Haas
I attended a funeral yesterday in Texas for a long time family friend and Air Force Veteran, Larry Tyrrell Jr. The funeral was held in the small Texas town of Andice. I was happy to see 2 Patriot Guard riders that stood at attention while holding U.S. Flags as people entered the church. After the funeral, we made the long, slow procession to The VA National Cemetery outside Ft. Hood. I was traveling at the back of the procession but every few minutes I could spot the beautiful site of our U.S. Flag flying in the wind from the Patriot Guard motorcycle that was leading the funeral procession. When we entered the cemetery, I saw a beautiful site of flag upon flag, too many to count, each one held by a member of the Patriot Guard standing at attention in honor of a fallen veteran that was being laid to rest.
To the Patriot Guard Team that served at Larry Tyrrell's funeral and to those that serve at funerals all over this great nation, I want to extend my gratitude. As an Army veteran, I hope to have them ride and stand for me one day.

Charlie Killough, Chelsea Killough, Shelley Bourdon Sandel and 15 others like this.

Missy Nour Lilienstern Beautiful.

Shelley Bourdon Sandel Beautiful tribute and expresses the feelings of so many of us in this nation...God bless all the Patriot Guard for what they do.

Pamela McAllister Outstanding.

Lisa Martinez Oh, Joe...Larry Tyrrell? Just went to Rita Zaborowski's funeral :-( I loved the Tyrrells, Brenda and Larry. Know your Mom did, too. Glad Mr. Tyrrell had beautiful tribute.

Carmen Sullivan Pittman They are a fabulous group of volunteers ! You should attend the WAA event next year or any year at our National Cemetary. I have been volunteering for 3 years & it is one of the most moving ceremonies & sites you will ever see. Or just take a trip to our National Cemetary thru the 1st of the year...it is beautiful to see all the wreaths laid honoring our veterans. Thanks for recognizing this wonderful group !

Elizabeth Garcia So sorry to hear that. Your mom had mentioned to me that Mr. Tyrrell was not doing well at all.

Michael Dixon Joe, was that Larry, Pat, and Brian's Dad? I knew Brenda Tyrrell but I did not know their Dad. On a side note, a very special moment for me was when Brenda Tyrrell presented me with my high school diploma. As you know we lived down the street from the Tyrrell's and Peter and I, hung out with the Tyrrell's a lot in our early teens.

Joe Haas Mike,
It was their Dad. Great family. I spent a lot of time at their house too.
www.fojit.com Send Private Message
Jump to Forum:

Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Copyright © 2007-2019 Central Texas Region Patriot Guard Riders